Despite being highly-rated by most parents who got it, the Cosco Apt 50 car seat seems to be only good as a back-up car seat. Read on why.
|Rear-Facing Weight:||5 to 40 pounds|
|Rear-Facing Height Limit:||19 to 40 inches|
|Forward-Facing Weight:||22 to 50 pounds|
|Forward-Facing Height Limit:||29 to 43 inches, at least one-year-old|
The Cosco APT 50 is an economical seat and has none of the other high-tech features found in more expensive products in the market. Despite that, its convertibility still allows parents and guardians to use this seat for a good number of years.
The bottom harness position of this product is just five inches high. This means even the smallest babies who meet the weight and height requirements should fit well in this seat with a few adjustments to the harness.
There was one inquiry about this seat on Amazon about its recline position for reflux. In rear-facing, this seat can be reclined at about 45 degrees. Although this product was not tested for children with reflux, some other parents whose children have reflux actually approved of this seat.
Will It Fit In My Car?
The APT 50 seat will be too wide for a 3-across installation. The Cosco Scenera Next is more compact compared to the Apt 50, so it would be the better option if you are looking for a space-saving car seat.
|Do I need to use a pool noodle/rolled towel?||Yes|
|Easy To Install Rear-Facing?||Relatively|
|Easy To Install Forward-Facing?||Relatively|
|Easy To Uninstall?||Yes|
There are stickers on the seat for guidance. Blue sticker is for the rear facing. Red sticker is for forward-facing.
Also, a useful tool incorporated in this sticker system is the QR code. Simply scanning the QR code using your mobile device will immediately direct you to the online installation videos.
Remember, no matter what installation reference and orientation you use, you always need to cross-reference with the vehicle’s owner manual.
The Cosco APT 50 has two rear facing reclines. To achieve the correct recline position, there are colored lines on the seat that can be used as a reference.
Fully reclined in a smaller car, there might be no more room left for moving, as compared to when the seat is in a more upright position.
As you unbox, you might think that you have been shipped with a product that lacks crucial parts. If you find that your product has no anchor connectors, look under its cover and there you will find a green bag containing the connectors.
You can choose a suitable location in the car. If you decide to use the middle seat, the lower anchors from the seat on each side may be used, as long as your car would allow it.
This again underlines the importance of referring to the vehicle manual during installation.
For a visual demonstration of rear facing with LATCH, watch this video.
How To Install The Cosco APT 50 Car Seat Rear-Facing With LATCH
The first step is adjusting the buckle location. Turn the seat over and slide metal retainer through the seat. Put back in the desired location to pull up and ensure that it is secure. First and second slots are recommended for rear facing.
Next, adjust the shoulder harness to the appropriate location for your child. To do this, press down the metal adjustor under the pad and pull on the harness straps to loosen. Then at the back, take the harness loops from the metal plates. Then, pull the harness straps into the slots.
Select the position based on the child’s height. Shoulder harness must be below or at the child’s shoulders.
Re-thread the harness straps through the seatback and keep the belt flat and untwisted. Re-attach the harness loop back into the splitter plate.
Route the LATCH belt through the rear-facing belt path while ensuring that the belt does not twist. If after checking for unnecessary movement and the seat still moves too much, you can try to install with the use of car seatbelt or in another seating location in the car.
Important Notes: While the videos below contain useful installation instructions, you should always check for the proper tightness in the LATCH/Seatbelt path with your less dominant hand – NEVER on top or any other parts of the car seat. The 5-point harness should also never be way above the shoulders of the child in the forward-facing mode.
How To Install The Cosco APT 50 Car Seat Rear-Facing With Seat Belt
How To Install The Cosco APT 50 Car Seat Forward-Facing With LATCH
How To Install The Cosco APT 50 Car Seat Forward-Facing With Seat Belt
Some parents mentioned that this product has no locking clip, but it is stated in the user manual that locking clips are to be used only in some older model cars.
Prepare the seat with appropriate buckle location and shoulder harness location. In forward facing position, the shoulder harness height needs to be at or above the child, shoulders. See the video.
|Country Of Origin:||USA|
|Side Impact Tested:||Yes|
|Approved For Airplane Use:||Yes|
|Easy To Buckle And Unbuckle?||Yes|
Despite being made from a single injection molded plastic instead of steel, it is still federally approved for its Side Impact Protection. It is certified for airplane use and it also complies with Federal and ASTM Safety Standards.
Some parents say that they regret purchasing the Cosco APT 50 as a travel seat because they had a difficult time installing it in the airplane seat.
While the seat is lightweight, you might need to have a customized travel bag in order to carry it without awkwardness as the available aftermarket travel bags might be too small for it.
Check Out The Colors*
|Is The Material Breathable?||Relatively|
|Seat Weight:||8 Pounds|
|Machine Washable Cover?||Yes|
|Comes With An Infant Body Support?||No|
|Easy To Remove Cover?||Yes|
|Comes With A Cup Holder?||Yes, 2|
|Shoulder Harness Has Pads?||No|
|Leg Straps Has Pads?||No|
The inside fabric of the APT 50 seat features a slightly textured and tight weave. Its outer fabric is of soft and smooth knit. The seat padding is made of 100% polyester.
There were reports that the seat cover frequently slides off its frame, despite that it seems to have some elastic to keep it in place.
This video demonstrates how to undress and put back the car seat cover for washing.
How To Remove And Put Back The Cosco APT 50 Seat Cover
The two cup holders are a plus for this product. Since there are two, one can be used for a beverage while the other is for a snack. Since they are built-in, they do not pose any hassle when placing the child into the seat and they do not get misplaced.
Check The Latest Price*
Although buying a car seat is a necessity for parents who travel with their children, varying specific needs will still be the major determining factor on which product to purchase. These needs will help determine whether the Cosco Apt 50 would be an apt choice for them. This defies the common misconception that the more expensive items are much better items to buy.
Let me enumerate and explain according to the things to look for when buying a convertible seat.
- Ease of use. Aside from user reviews, you may also refer to NHTSA ease of use rating for the Cosco Apt 50. Based on its overall rating of 3 out of 5, this could be the seat you may buy if your budget is rather limited, but want to use a product that is relatively easy to install and use.
- 5-Point harness. If you want something that will secure the child on their seat via straps for the shoulder, the hips and in between the legs for such a low price, then there could be no need to look further.
- Side Impact Protection. This could refer to the special kind of foam that will absorb the energy during a side-impact crash to protect the chest and the head of a child. While other more costly car seats have more than just the foam as SIP, you could still choose this basic car seat since it also has side impact protection and it is also federally approved.
- Ease of Adjustments. Cosco Apt 50 might have been your apt choice for the three factors above, but this fourth aspect could be the deciding factor, especially if you are a working parent. If your budget will allow, you would certainly look at other choices in the market. For every adjustment you make, you need to re-thread the harness, consuming both time and energy. Look for other car seats with no re-thread harness and other added features that simplifies usage.
- LATCH. This cheap convertible seat could be your budget-friendly choice because it also features lower anchors/tether installations.
- Comfort. The padding might be thin, but numerous reviews mentioned how the children still sat comfortably in this product even on long drives. Find another option if you want a seat with extra padding.
- Ease of Cleaning. This seat is a practical choice if you want something that is hassle-free to maintain.
These other factors below are based on the actual reviews for this product.
- Child’s Body Built. If you need a car seat that can accommodate your child with an average-sized body, then look no further. This is not your ideal choice if your child is larger than most kids.
- Car Upholstery. If your car has leather upholstery, this product would not be a suitable selection too. According to a parent whose car has leather seats, this product easily moves, thus requiring a pool noodle placed under it.
- Travel Mode. This seat is said to fit in most cars and airplanes, but some reviewers expressed their disappointment. A smart decision would be to first confirm with the airline prior to booking if this seat will be appropriate in the airplane. Most economy seats are 18 inches (some smaller) wide so this would impossibly fit at 22 inches wide unless the airline can provide you with some solutions. Contacting the airline would also be good as you can ask what other policies it implements regarding child restraint systems onboard.
- Travel Companion. If traveling with a large family or in a carpool, this would also not be an apt choice since it is rather bulky and wide. It might not leave enough room for other passengers in the car.
- Durability. Look for another product if what you want is a product that can last a long time or something that can withstand “heavy beating”. This seat expires in 8 years. Yet, it might not last that long if you plan on using it without so much care due to your busy schedule.
- Occasion/Purpose. This is a definite apt choice if you need a car seat to give as a gift; a car seat that will serve as a back-up seat or travel seat; a car seat that can be an add-on to a car rental service.
I highly suggest that you check out the feedbacks of the parents who got this seat to help you verify your decision.
Read The Cosco APT 50 Reviews*
What do you think?
I’d love to know your thoughts in the comments section below!